Not exactly sure why I thought Lupron would be similar to the actual stimulations but it is in no way shape or form even close. Stimulating sucks!

November 3rd I went in for my baseline ultrasound. I realized that I better get comfortable with the vag-cam because I’m going to be seeing a lot of it throughout this process. Dr. Fisch took a look around and found five follicles on my left side and nine on the right side and my uterus measuring at 2.5 mm. He gave me the green light to start injections that night.

I made sure Paul was with me when our nurse went over how to handle everything. Another little IVF blooper: I’m asking all sorts of science-y questions to prepare myself and Paul decides to ask two questions. All he wanted to know was can he still drink alcohol and can we still be intimate. Insert big fat face palm..

Starting on November 3rd, every morning Paul injects five units of Lupron and I take my folic acid pill. (Why folic acid? Take a peep at THIS for some information.) Some nights Paul uses the lovely Follistim Pen to inject 375 and other nights it’s only 150 when we have to do the 75 units of Menopur. November 3rd also happens to be my birthday so our very first Follistim experience happened at a dinner table in a semi fancy restaurant.

Doing the Follistim was hard, like clenching onto Paul’s arm type of hard. I was in no way prepared for the Menopur. The Menopur felt like fire tearing apart my lower abdomen. After every shot I felt like I was Bella from Twilight turning into a vampire because it burned so badly. We did this process from November 3rd to November 9th, which is my next ultrasound appointment to check how things are progressing.

You might say, “But that isn’t very much time you big baby.” Just, no. This process is brutal. I had hot flashes like crazy, mood swings galore, and I looked about three months pregnant from all of the bloating. It is also a painful process. Towards the end I could feel little “balls” swaying back and forth as I walked and was downright miserable. During those few days I just wanted to crawl into someone’s lap and cry.

But I didn’t. I did my very best to put on a brave face for Paul and to not let Savannah see my stress. I went to work everyday just like normal, took Savannah to and from school just like normal, and tried to live just as I normally would. Before a patient goes into surgery doctors often say that their mindset and attitude going in is the outcome they will have. I’m determined to keep myself as happy and positive as possible, even if that leaves me a sobbing mess at the end.


How did your stimulation process go? If you haven’t started yet, what are you most nervous about?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.